As a Junior College All American at PCC, he was a member of the national JC Championship/JR Rose Bowl Championship Team. At the University of Washington he set a Pac 10 record kicking 71 for 71 PAT's. His senior year ended with the Huskies defeatlng Texas in the Sun Bowl.
- 1983- 42 yard field goal with time running out to defeat the New Orleans Saints, in New Orleans, putting the Rams lnto the playoffs.
- 1986- 50 yard field goal with 2 seconds left, defeats the World Champion Chicago Bears, in Chicago, on Monday Night Football.
- 1989- 3 game winning field goals, 120pts, named to the NFL All-Pro Team.
The former barefoot place kicker is recognized as one of the best ever clutch kickers in NFL history with 15 game winning field goals.
Mike started his career being drafted by the New York Giants in the 12th round of the 1980 draft. After being released by the Giants, San Francisco 49ers, and the Oakland Raiders, Mike took off his shoe for the first time and began kicking barefoot, He was immediately signed with the Los Angeles Rams in 1982.
He retired in 1991 as the franchise's all time scoring leader with 789 total career points. Mike was lnducted into the Orange County Hall of Fame in 1996, the Arcadia High School Hall of Fame in 2000, and the Pasadena City College Sports Hall of Fame in 2005.
Mike has many nationally recognized kickers as students, including:
- David Buehler - Dallas Cowboys
- Jeff Jaeger - Cleveland Brown/Oakland Raiders
- Chase Lansford - UNLV
- Jordan Mannis to - University of Houston
- Ryan Payne - University of Louisville
- Brady Stuart- UC Davis
- Peter Keks - Cal Lutheran
- Paul Caliguiri - US National Soccer Team
- Chuck Nelson - Buffalo Bills, Minnesota Vikings
- Tony Zendejas - Houston Oilers
- Dan Frantz - Two time Champion Arena League Kicker
Since his retirement he has also been a regular guest on sports radio and television talk shows.